Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Serving by Following

John 12:26

“If anyone serves me, let him follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also. If anyone serves Me, him My Father will honor” (NKJV)

We all, as Christians, desire to serve Christ. We accept Jesus in our hearts, ask Him to cleanse our hearts and then live a life honoring Him. We go to church and read our bible and so are Christians, right? We ask Christ for permission with the big steps in our life and live a “good” life; for if Christ disagrees with us, then He will condemn us and we will listen. No. This is all backwards thinking because we need to live a life for Christ and not for ourselves. I like to think of it is this way, the best way to lie is to tell as much truth as you can inside of the lie. We can either be a servant of Christ or a slave to sin. Satan, the “head” of sin, deceives us with these lies by putting as much truth into them as he can. We do need to accept Jesus, have Him cleanse us and live a life honoring to Him but we aren’t honoring Him how He wants us to. We aren’t supposed to live a “good” life and wait for condemnation, but rather need to live a life of honoring Him through servitude. I grew up in the church and lived a life as a “good” Christian. Everybody looked at me and thought that I was living a life as God’s child; and I was. But now I realize that we need to live a life more than God’s children, but as God’s servants. As a child, you need to submit to authority and obey, but it is a relationship that can be full of rebellion and doing things with the wrong heart. When a child grows up, they gain more and more freedom until they reach the point to where they are independent from their parents. We need to remember that we are, and act like we are, children of God, but need to serve Him all our life. We need to live a life of humility under God and learn to listen to His voice so we can serve Him with all that He desires and be where God is moving.

To work on servant hood, I am going to find five passages in the Bible that show examples of being a servant.

No comments:

Post a Comment