Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Contentment Through Our Identity

Luke 3:14
“Likewise the soldier asked him, saying, ‘And what shall we do?’ So he said to them, ‘Do not intimidate anyone or accuse falsely, and be content with your wages.” (NKJV)

How many of us want the newest, top of the line, stuff? Our culture is centered on getting the best of the best. Many times I have thought to myself, “If only I have… then I will be happy”. We build our identity upon how much we have and what we still need. We cause strife with one another because we compare and covet. If we have a false sense of identity and hope, then we will never be content. When we place our hope in wealth and possessions, we turn to violence out of jealousy and even accuse falsely for our gain. This is why we should put our identity and hope in God.
I have put my hope in God, but I still find myself becoming jealous and covetous towards others. 1 Timothy 6:10 says “For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and have pierced themselves through with many sorrows”. I now realize that the reason I am greedy, jealous and covetous is because, even though I believe in God, I am still dependent on money. My dependence on money is causing my mind to turn to the sin of things of this world.

I need to give up my dependency on money and self provision so I can become dependent on God. To do this I am going to stop looking for the money I am missing, for everything is done to further His Kingdom, and I am going to pray for God to shift my perspective of money from a means of survival to a ministry tool that is solely for glorifying Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment