Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Being Content in the World

Hebrews 13:5
“Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, ‘I will never leave you nor forsake you’.” (NKJV)

I believe that we all have covetous hearts. We all have this unquenchable desire for worldly things. I personally believe I am a content person with what I have, yet I will admit that I still covet. Even though I have a phone that is 3 years old and a computer that is 4 and am happy with them, I still want the newest and greatest things. This want is not sin, but when I see someone else with what I have been want, then I covet and sin. Being content is so difficult in this world of constant need and measuring up to society. We need to live in the world, but not of the world. I think back to the Israelites who were set apart from society. The Israelites needed to be circumcised, could only eat certain foods and had a ritual they had to follow to worship. The Israelites lived in a world full of sin and evil but not living for the world (when they were following God’s will).

So how do we live in the world, yet not for the world? How do we live in this world but not fall victim under its desires and values? This verse says “be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, ‘I will never leave you nor forsake you”. Living separate from the world’s desires and values is difficult, but we can live apart with God’s help. If we believe that God has everything and we have nothing of value, then why would we ever desire more? God will never leave us nor forsake us. He is always there to help us when we are in need. He also has the best plan for us here and eternity waiting for us. So instead of being focused on living apart from the world, we just need to focus on God and He’ll help us with the rest. I am going to work on focusing on God by praying to God every hour that I am awake today.

No comments:

Post a Comment