Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Obeying Not Rebelling

Ephesians 6:1

Colossians 3:20

“Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right”
“Children, obey your parents in all things, for this is well pleasing to the Lord” (NKJV)

All of us go through a rebellious stage of life; whether we want to admit it or not is another story, but we all have struggled with obedience. I grew up as a pastor’s kid and whenever I would get into an argument with my parents I would hear that God wants us to obey our parents and He punishes the rebellious. Most of the time I would leave an argument and I would get sassy or would stomp away because I was annoyed with always getting “Bible slapped”. I would always go to my room afterwards and know that what I did was wrong, but was so irritated because I “knew” I was right and they wouldn’t crown me victor. I love to win and strongly dislike losses, but what is even worse is when you win and they don’t admit it. That is how I felt with our arguments and instead of me realizing the sin of arguing with my God ordained parents I became more and more hard pressed to win. I would tell myself that I will stop arguing and gladly lose a war when my parents will admit they have lost one battle. For a long time in my life I was so addicted to the idea of winning that I stopped thinking, or caring, if I was pleasing God. I didn’t care about what was right or wrong if I felt like it was justifiable, I just wanted victory. The root of the issue was not me being rebellious. My issue was putting my pride first before others and, in turn, before God. So when we get into arguments with our parents, because we are destined to no matter what age we are, we need to take a moment and read these commandments. We need to allow God to humble us and show us our faults; for we need “Bible slaps” to keep us from veering off the path.

To make sure I stay humble with my parents, I am going to apologize for how I acted in the past and break down any pride that I have built up.

No comments:

Post a Comment