Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Colossians 1:11
“strengthened with all might, according to His glorious power, for all patience and longsuffering with joy” (NKJV)

This is a part of Paul’s prayer for the church of Colossi. Paul is writing a letter of encouragement to them because they have had steadfast in their “faith in Christ Jesus and of (their) love for all the saints”; another translation says “and your love for all of God’s people”. I look at the Colossi church and think to myself, what more do you need? Jesus commands us to love God and love one another (Mathew 22:37). My Christian walk so many times has been a battle of what is true, a battle of staying focused, a debate on current issues and what the bible says about them as well as big concepts in faith. I have complicated my walk so much because I want to follow God and be the best I can be, when really, because of this, I have lost focus on the simplicity of faith. Paul encourages this church by first telling them how well they are doing in their faith and then how he is praying for them.
What also speaks to me is how Paul encourages the church. Paul doesn’t just say, “good job! I am praying for you” but rather takes his time listing off specifics. Paul talks about how they started in faith and how they still haven’t strayed from their focus in the beginning. When we encourage someone, we shouldn’t just write them a small verse and a prayer, but rather we should pour out our heart for them. Paul shows his heart and his love for this church by presenting his prayers and joyful encouragement. Paul has shown he really does care, is a part of the church and wants to help them through whatever they are going through. In Paul’s prayer, he also shows them what to strive for. He gives them a goal and asks for God to help them to the goal.

To apply what I have learned about fruitful faith and encouragement, I am going to write out a letter of encouragement to someone in ignite who God chooses.

No comments:

Post a Comment