Saturday, March 31, 2018

God’s Calling for Us


“For if you remain completely silent at this time, relief and deliverance will arise for the Jews from another place”
Esther 4:14 (NKJV)

This was the advice that Mordecai gave to Esther when he asked her to go in front of the king. Mordecai didn’t ask her to do it for him or herself, but to go before the king for the Jews. There was a decree put into place that ordered all the Jews to be killed and Mordecai hoped that the Queen, Esther, would be able to appeal before the King to repeal it. To do this, Esther would have to break a law and be forgiven by the King or else she would be executed.
I have always read this Bible story and loved the idea of someone stepping into harm’s way to protect their people; risking everything for others. But when I read this verse over I realized I misunderstood a crucial thing. I used to think of her as the Jews’ only hope and last effort for survival, but that isn’t true. God didn’t need Esther, He wanted to use her.
This brings me back to the first week of IGNITE. The first message I heard from my Pastor after joining the IGNITE program was on God’s handiwork and how God uses people to mold and shape us as Christians. One thing he said to me that has stuck is that God wants to use all of us as tools in His work, but He does not need all of us to complete His work. If God wanted to reach someone, He doesn’t have to use a specific person to do this but He does desire a specific person to do it.
God wanted to use Esther, but didn’t need her to bring deliverance to the Jews. God uses Mordecai to say to Esther here is God’s calling for you, pursue it, but if you don’t step toward it God will appoint someone else to the calling.
To apply this to my life, I am going to pray to God to show me His path for my life, not the path that is what I desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment