Saturday, March 31, 2018

Fighting for Friendships


“Now when Abram heard that his brother was taken captive, he armed his three hundred and eighteen trained servants who were born in his own house, and went in pursuit”
Genesis 14:14 (NKJV)

As I was reading through the book of Genesis, I came across this passage and set down my Bible in amazement. At this time, God has already called Abram to a distant land with his nephew Lot and his wife Sarai. God promised Abram the land as far as his eye could see, so Abram allowed Lot to pick the land he desired and Abram would take the other. Lot took the better land out of selfish ambition for his flocks of sheep, so Abram took what was left. As the years go by, the region Lot lives in soon is known as a place for evil men. An army attacks the city Lot lives in and Lot is taken along with all his possessions. When word gets back to Abram, this verse is his response.
Why do I bring all of this background information? Abram here exemplifies how we should act as Christians. Lot fights with Abram, took advantage of his offer for land, then benefits off of it. I read this think back to when I have fought with people, given up things for the sake of saving the relationships and have had others gain from my loss. If I were to look at someone in a relationship that had to do all of these things for the sake of saving it, I would tell them it is time for them to consider breaking up with them. But instead Abram immediately comes to rescue his nephew with his own servants and family.
To learn how to value people and relationships with as much commitment as Abram had for one who had wronged him, I am going to find 5 instances where someone in the Bible has fought for friendships.

No comments:

Post a Comment