Friday, November 10, 2017

The Comfort in God

“Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me”
Psalm 23:4 (NKJV)

When I think of God, I think of His power, love and sacrifice for us so that we can enjoy worshipping Him for eternity. I think of Him fighting my battles for me, weakening the enemy so I will be able to defend against his attacks. I vaguely remember reading this Psalm in class when I was in elementary school. Our project for the year was memorizing Psalm 23 and I loved reciting it becuase of the imagery. Everytime I read “Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil” and pictured going down a dark road with Satan ready for battle up ahead. All who strive to follow Christ and become His disciple are going down the narrow path that is difficult to stay on. It takes steadfastness and strength to not veer away from God’s path. Sin is trying to pull us off the path and Satan, the prowling lion, is stalking us for the perfect time to devour us. But we needn't worry because Christ has a rod to guide us and a staff to protect us from the beast. When we think of God's unrivaled power and might, we don't need to be scared or doubt because God is right behind us watching for the enemy and is ready to jump infront of us to protect us.

Although I know of my God's might, I am continually reminded of God's comfort. God is not just the Superlative King, but also is the Great Comforter. When we stray from the path, lose our battles with sin or leave our Shepherd and we fall down to our lows in faith, why do we sulk or turn to other imperfect humans when we can turn to the person who knows everything about us and knows exactly what we need to hear? I am going to pray to God the next time that I am in distressed and turn to God the first time to talk to Him as a friend who needs comfort and advice

No comments:

Post a Comment